Travis Scott’s attorneys said his duties were outlined as performing, marketing, curating talent, and providing for his own personal security. Attorneys for rap star Travis Scott argued in court Monday that he should be dismissed from hundreds of lawsuits filed over the deadly 2021 Astroworld festival, saying he was not responsible for safety planning and watching for possible dangers at the Houston event. But attorneys for relatives of one of the 10 people killed during a massive crowd surge at the festival said Scott ignored safety concerns and threatened to release online the personal information of anyone who would cancel the event over safety concerns. Stephen Brody, an attorney for Scott, said the rap star remains “devastated” and “heartbroken” by the tragic events of November 5, 2021, when authorities and festival organisers tried to shut down the show and stop the surge. The families of the 10 people who died, as well as hundreds who were injured, sued Scott and Live Nation — the festival’s promoter — as well as dozens of other individuals and entities. During a court hearing before state District Judge Kristen Hawkins, Brody argued that Scott and his touring and production company, XX Global, should be dismissed from the case. They said his duties and responsibilities related to the festival were outlined as performing, marketing, curating talent for the event, providing for his own personal security and approving all creative matters involving the festival. “And that’s it,” Brody said. During the concert, Scott, whose real name is Jacques Bermon Webster II, did stop his performance four times to check on issues he saw in the crowd, including some people who appeared to be in distress, according to Brody. “Did he have show pause authority?” Hawkins asked Brody. He could stop performing and wait to see if an issue of concern had been resolved, Brody said. But Brody added the festival’s organisers as well as Houston police also had the ability to turn on the lights or cut off the sound if they thought something was wrong. Noah Wexler, an attorney for the family of Madison Dubiski, 23, said Scott’s contract defined him as a co-promoter of the festival with Live Nation and as a promoter, he was responsible for the event’s safety under Texas rules.
Trending
- Karnataka shocker: Class 9 student delivers baby in school toilet, 28-year-old man arrested.
- Donald Trump withdraws Kamala Harris’s Secret Service protection.
- ISRO and Japan’s JAXA to collaborate for Chandrayaan-5 mission, says PM Modi.
- Reliance Jio IPO by first half of 2026, Mukesh Ambani says at AGM.
- ‘India is ready to…’: PM Modi’s big message ahead of key Xi Jinping meeting in China.
- Sachin Tendulkar’s tribute to Pujara is a winner; Sunil Gavaskar takes a bow as India’s marathon man calls it a day.
- Hyderabad horror: Taxi driver kills pregnant wife, chops body into parts, throws in river.
- ‘Hanuman Ji was the first to go to space’: BJP’s Anurag Thakur to schoolkids, advises to ‘look beyond textbooks’.