Arvind Kejriwal, in a video statement on Friday, said he would surrender before the Tihar Jail authorities on June 2, as ordered by the Supreme Court. The Enforcement Directorate on Saturday opposed Delhi chief minister Arvind Kejriwal’s application seeking an extension of his interim bail granted by the Supreme Court last month, claiming the Aam Aadmi Party (AAP) chief made false statements about his health. The agency, which arrested Kejriwal on March 21 in connection with the Delhi excise policy case, refuted the politician’s claim that he lost six kilograms since he was incarcerated. The Delhi court posted the matter to June 5, which means Kejriwal will have to surrender before the Tihar Jail authorities on June 2, as ordered by the Supreme Court. On Friday, addressing the people of the nation, Kejriwal claimed the sudden weight loss could be an indication of a serious disease. Kejriwal had sought an extension of his interim bail from the Supreme Court. However, the apex court’s office refused to accept his plea, saying he had the liberty to move the trial court seeking regular bail. Later, the Delhi chief minister applied for a regular bail in Delhi’s Rouse House court. Referring to Kejriwal’s claim that he needed seven days to undergo a battery of medical tests to rule out the possibility of a disease, the Enforcement Directorate argued in the court that the former suppressed the nature of these tests. The agency claimed Arvind Kejriwal has gained one kilogram of weight. It said instead of getting his medical tests done, he was travelling across the country.
Trending
- Sachin Tendulkar’s tribute to Pujara is a winner; Sunil Gavaskar takes a bow as India’s marathon man calls it a day.
- Hyderabad horror: Taxi driver kills pregnant wife, chops body into parts, throws in river.
- ‘Hanuman Ji was the first to go to space’: BJP’s Anurag Thakur to schoolkids, advises to ‘look beyond textbooks’.
- Second arrest in Noida dowry murder case, Nikki Bhati’s mother-in-law caught.
- Israel strikes Yemen’s capital targeting Houthi rebels, hits energy hubs.
- Hardik Pandya ‘knew’ Mumbai Indians fans would be hostile after captaincy takeover: ‘Rohit Sharma didn’t provoke’.
- Jaishankar flags trade, Russian oil, mediation claims as key issues in India-US ties.
- First made-in-India semiconductor chip by year-end, working on 6G, says PM Modi.